Friday, August 7, 2015

CW Passive-Aggressively Rambles About Something He Found In The "New Stories"-Feed (Something I Found): Catching Butterflies

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/278614/catching-butterflies


Maybe I’m just not sufficiently jaded, you know. Maybe I can’t see the trees for the oh so winsome forest. This story has four tags: Romance, Slice of Life, Alternate Universe and Human. It’s not out of boundary or anything, but it certainly is stating the contents in an aggrandized fashion. Romance is a minor part of it, and rather spoilery, I might add. I’d hate to be categorical, because then I’ll be just like those across-the-board taggings, which I hate, but I see red every time there’s a story with four of them, or even more.

I need to take a breath. This day has been nary a relaxing moment congested. I only chose this story because of it’s manageable length, and because it looked kind of charming, which it was, with a stipulation or two. Why do I always pick the offish/winsome ones? Is it my destiny to wallow in ambiguity, never a day free from the shackles that binds me in my unquenchable quest for knowledge? Know what? … Forget it! You could try “silence says more than a thousand words” but I know that’s just an excuse for people who aren’t good with words, so let’s go, yolks!

The humanized teenage versions of the mane six recently banged out of school and they’re having a party over it. Butterscotch– whom I think is a gender swapped version of Fluttershy–is inviting all of his friends, which is a mix of male and female versions of the original mane six. It’s a little confusing, especially for a person who isn’t used to reading anthropomorphized, genderbent stories. It doesn’t help that the characters are presented unchronologically, as if we’re all supposed to know what name belongs to whom. On the other hand, maybe that’s a problem on my part because I don’t read these kinds of fanfics that often and I’m expected to. Regardless, Butterscotch is the focus of the story.

Ya see, there is another character is this story. Eris is her name. She a tough gal, it appears. She encompasses the archetype of cynical sarcasm and is a thorn in the side of Butterscotch’s friends. Why? Because they’re friends- actually, they’re in love, but the other doesn’t know it yet, and they’ve only got 24 hours to profess their love before the world ends, what a jam! Actually again, I’m being silly. The last part wasn’t true, though it does speak bounds and leaps, the repeated use of these tropes and how they tie into the same story, told by different people, over and over again. I suppose there’s something fundamentally compelling about it, and relatable, I’m sure, for many of the people visiting fimfiction. Love is something we all feel in some aspect of our lives. It’s all encompassing yet beyond description, for you peasants at least. Something vague and ethereal like that can be depicted however the depictor see fit without overreaching any kind of boundary in terms. The author of this story did just that, and fiddled us a standard fare image of teenage love. I accepted, reluctantly a bit maybe, but the humanity is there.

This is also an example of opposites match, with Eris’ crude, unrefined, troublemaking behavior weighing against Butterscotch’s meek, withdrawn, courteous style okay-ly. I didn’t feel like Eris was as big of a meanie as the story tried getting across. Instead, I racked my head away from my computer screen and onto the fact that everyone was a douchebag to her for no reason. This was never addressed, if it was indeed part of writer’s intention. 

Here comes the disconnect––why couldn’t the story have been about this? A Fluttershy fable, showing off her bestest characteristics. The others would’ve been douchebags to Eris, Butterscotch would’ve defended her and the thing would escalate accordingly until Butterscotch exploded at them, causing them to reconsider and better their ways. It’s a perfect little premise for a simple little story such as this one. Considering what we learn up until the culmination at the end, I was totally convinced this would be the writer’s unexpected, twist, surprise ending, it simply doesn’t make sense otherwise. The mid-story infodump we get on the background between Eris and the mane six would’ve been all for nothing, and hoh, by the way, don’t even get me started on that. There’s reason they call the beginning of a story “the exposition”, because the only best alternative to cutting off a conversation with heaps of information that ought to be conveyed gradually is to limit it to the story’s exposition (there’s also some other reasons but they aren’t important…).

The characters dip in being two-dimensional, with the gist of their actions and behavior obstructed by poor dialogue tagging that explains what would be easier to assume. To be more exact, there are a lot of saidisms, as well as action tags coupled with explanations on why and how a character does something, all requires deciphering (in other words, relating them back to a character) and little is actually stated about their feelings. You can only get so far, using adverbs, as apposed to relating things to the reader using a character’s five senses, which is more effective for the most part. Otherwise, the portrayals are done surprisingly well and the characters aren’t just cardboard cutouts, for whatever it’s worth, which is a lot, probably. Another thing––very confusing metaphors when showing is actually used: “,’ Berry had said with all the speed that sound could travel with.” (Psst! Plus, there’s a grammar error in there…)

One last thing about the dialogue, bear with me still- no, you know what? I’ll show you, this: “‘Of course Berry.’ Dusk Shine replied. ‘We wouldn’t miss it for the world. Also you shouldn’t do that, you could get hurt.’” Punctuation error in there, I know. Also, notice how the dialogue emotes. Speaking of notes, I scrambled this down on a word document in my computer as I was reading: “Calculated dialogue, as apposed to reaction in words”. What I mean by that is, the dialogue’s alive in a sense, because it’s a representation of characters’ feelings and thoughts in compression, as apposed to real-life dialogue, which isn’t streamlined, ineffectively enough.

The two statements made by Dusk Shine are discordant and adding “also” between them isn’t going to change that. Let’s springboard from that into calculated dialogue as a general theme. The second and less obvious problem with this specific piece of dialogue is that it conveys the character, without actually conveying anything else. In the context of the story, Berry [???Crunch???] slides down the banister outside the school entrance; first character tic, whereupon Dusk Shine goes: “You shouldn’t do that, you could get hurt.”; second character tic. This didn’t add anything to the story. It conveyed nothing except for Berry’s quirkiness and Dusk Shine’s killjoyness and if these characters are who I think they are, ––which, to be honest, isn’t really that hard to guess––it doesn’t matter a gosh, darn, damn bit, does it? Even so, it’s distracting as a matter of course when you break off the happenings of the story with a small piece of character fodder like this, which happens repeatedly throughout Catching Butterflies

To scrub up the things I’ve missed, there’s also a general problem of indecisiveness with the narrator who kind of, sort of thinks like this, or that! Once again, like the dialogue tags, the narrative doesn’t emote, though there are elements of showing. If the characterization on Eris and her interplay with the male/female mane six mesh is the strongest aspect of this story, this is definitely the weakest. Next, time and location is conveyed through loopy cursive with an out-of-place meta joke shoved in there; a completely useless mechanic when such information could easily be made implicit (which it is, mostly).  


Here, I want to make it clear that I was charmed. I laughed and felt a little awkward at times, while I stand by all the issues noted in this review. It was a fun, innocent little time, riddled with problems of different sizes, some of them fixable. Part of the literary (big quotation marks) cynicism in me died when I read this, which isn’t a small compliment to say the least. On the other hand, it really isn’t presentable at all and certainly far from A-grade material. I 100% acknowledge the effort and humanity that went into writing this story, flounder as it may do on many other levels. Fuck recommending/unrecommending it! You yourself decide. I know I’ve done mah job well if it comes to that. Heheh, I’m pancake!